2020 election

Voters’ Toolbox for July 14 Primary Runoffs

Source: Solomon Crenshaw Jr.

Who can vote in this election?

The July 14 election is a primary runoff. If you voted in the primary election, you may vote in the same party’s runoff. For instance, if you voted a Democratic ballot on March 3, you may vote in the Democratic runoff. But you cannot “cross over” and vote in the Republican runoff next week.

If you did not vote in the March 3 primary, you may vote in either one of the parties’ runoffs.

The Secretary of State’s Office has a graphic explaining the rules.

Where can I see what will be on my ballot?

You can see sample ballots for your county here.

Who can vote by absentee ballot, and how do I apply for one?

For this election only, people who fear contracting COVID-19 may vote by absentee ballot even though they are not actually ill on election day. Secretary of State John Merrill has encouraged anyone in that situation to vote by absentee and to mark the box that covers physical illness or infirmity as the reason.

Other acceptable reasons for voting an absentee ballot are: being out of the county on election day; having a physical disability or infirmity that affects your ability to go to the polls or mark the ballot; working a 10-hour shift that coincide with the hours the polls are open; being enrolled in a school outside of the county where you are registered; being active duty military or a spouse or dependent a service member on assignment; working at a poll other than the one where you are assigned to vote; being a caregiver for a homebound relative; being incarcerated on a crime that is not a felony involving moral turpitude.

You can apply for an absentee ballot here. The reasons allowed for absentee voting are spelled out in more detail on the application.

The deadline to submit an absentee ballot application is Thursday, and the deadline to submit the ballot is Monday, the day before the election.

How can I find information about my registration status and polling place?

You can find your registration information, polling place and the status of your provisional ballot and you can check to see if your absentee ballot was counted. On the Secretary of State’s website here.

What if my name isn’t on the poll list?

If your name is not on the voter list at the polls or you don’t have approved ID at the time of voting, you can cast a provisional ballot. Those ballots will be kept in a separate location at the polls, and it is up to the county Board of Registrars to determine whether the vote is valid after election day. You can find complete details here.

What ID do I need at the polls?

Voters must present ID at the polls before voting. Acceptable forms of ID include a driver’s license, a non-driver ID, a photo voter ID,  a federally issued ID or passport, military ID, college ID or any form of state-issued ID, such as a temporary ID from the Department of Corrections or a jail or prison movement/booking sheet, provided the voter also has an ID with a photo. For more clarification, voters may call 1-800-274-8683 or visit here.

What if I have problems at the polls or see what I believe is a violation of election law?

To report election, voter or campaign financing fraud, hotlines at the Secretary of State’s Office can be reached at 800-274-8683, for a fax can be sent to 334-242-2444.

You also can make fraud complaints online. Or report fraud by mail to the Elections Division Office of the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 5616, Montgomery, Al. 36130.

If poll officials cannot resolve a voting problem, call the Jefferson County Probate Court office at Birmingham at 205-325-5203.

In Shelby County, a voter complaint form can be gotten from an election official. The form has to be filed out and then mailed to the Secretary of State’s Office.

Is your question not answered here?

You can get more information at the Secretary of State’s election website at AlabamaVotes.gov.